One of the most important activities of Lake Baikal Foundation is to support science and promote scientific knowledge. Scientists engaged in scientific research of the Baikal region faced acute challenges: underfunding and lack of interest from government and society. In this context, the Foundation initiated a program «Baikal initiative» to support young scientists.
- to identify and to support technological, applied and research projects aimed at the protection of the lake;
- promotion of scientific knowledge about Baikal among the population.
Taking part in the competition, you help the Foundation to solve important problems:
- to promote preservation and development of Baikal region and lake Baikal;
- to create an assessment of environmental protection issues;
- to support the establishment of high-tech centers in the region;
- to advance ecological lifestyle in the Russian society.
Who can apply for the grant?
Young scientists aged 25 to 35 years.
The key criteria for project evaluation:
- relevance and scientific significance;
- innovation and uniqueness;
- the realistic budget and explicability of planned outlay;
- experience of the applicant in the implementation of projects in the relevant scientific direction;
- planned result of the project and the reality of its achievement.
Lake Baikal Foundation will allocate 1 million rubles to support talented solutions in the following areas:
- scientific research and high-tech development;
- biodiversity research and conservation;
- applied solutions to environmental problems.
The winners of the last year «Baikal Initiative» contest can apply for continuation of funding under the current competition. The application will be considered under a separate category – the Grand Prix. According to the competition terms, only one project which was the winner of last year’s competition can claim to win this year’s competition.
The participants of the «Baikal initiative» contest will have to prove that their projects are really relevant and necessary according to public opinion: the financial assistance is provided to those projects which will be able to collect 20% of the project budget independently by crowdfunding, attract sponsors and other channels of public support. 80% of the successful projects’ budget will be covered by Lake Baikal Foundation’s grants.
March 22 – July 31 – applications acceptance
July 31 – September 1 – evaluation of applications by the Expert council
September 1 – announcement of the winners
September 1 – December 31 – search and provision of co-financing guarantee
January 1 – February 10 – transfer of grants for projects that have provided a guarantee of co-financing
February – projects launch