January 2019 – June 2020
In attempt to consider comprehensively conservation of the Baikal natural area Lake Baikal Foundation paid attention to one of the most serious environmental problems: littering and excessive amount of waste. The «Trash Free National Parks» program is aimed at comprehensive solution of the problem of left garbage and waste deposits in the national parks around the Baikal.
The program is based on the principle «Carry In – Carry Out», which corresponds with the world-known «3R» concept of correct waste management: reduce, reuse, recycle. Following this principle, the visitors will stop leaving their «garbage footprint» in national parks, they will be able to separate and recycle solid waste. To this end we will provide all necessary infrastructure.
The project includes an educational part as well. During the whole summer period trained volunteers and national parks’ employees will work with the visitors, explaining the new rules of waste management.
In 2019-2020 the pilot project will be launched in Zabaikalsky national park (the Republic of Buryatia).
We appreciate the consult support provided by the American non-governmental organization «National Parks Conservation Association».
- to increase the level of ecoculture of local population and the Baikal visitors;
- to prevent littering in the Special Protected Natural Areas (SPNAs);
- to implement separate waste collection in the SPNAs.
- to find the «pressure points» of national parks: points of unauthorized entrance, areas with no info tablets, areas which suffer most from anthropogenic factors;
- to include the principle «Carry In – Carry Out» into official rules of national parks;
- to work out info and educational materials;
- to sign agreements between recycling regional companies and national parks on transporting the recyclable waste to the plant;
- to install four-compartment containers for plastic, glass, metal and other waste at the exit points of Zabaikalsky national park. Later we plan to open the recycling points in Pribaikalsky national park as well;
- to organize control on carrying in and carrying out potential waste at the entrance and exit points of Zabaikalsky national park, involving volunteers into these activities;
- to open recycling points in 5 sites of the two national parks (preliminary agreements on certain site have been made);
- to monitor the implementation of the pilot program «Trash Free National Parks», to receive feedbacks from the participants and target audience.
What will be done:
- we will organize control on carrying in and carrying out potential waste in Zabaikalsky national park;
- we will install bins for separate waste collection;
- visitors of national parks will be informed about the new principle of waste management in national parks;
- separated waste will be recycled;
- the amount of left garbage in national parks will drop compared to that of 2017;
- in the long term the project will become the base for sustainable environmental development of the Baikal region in the field of waste management. In the context of the waste-management governmental reform the national parks which have implemented the progressive pattern in 2019 and are ready to implement it further independently will be able to become innovative leaders of reserve management in Russia.