Today, on February 17, in Russia we celebrate Wild Reindeer Day.
And we want to share with you news about our ward – a forest subspecies of wild reindeer that lives in central part of the Khamar-Daban range. This species is very vulnerable – we only know about 23 individuals.
In 2021-2022 a research team from Baikalsky Reserve with the support of the Foundation saved this rare deer species listed in the Red Books of Russia and Buryatia.
During this time we:
- conducted two expeditions to better study the condition of the animals (during this time the team passed more than 400 km);
- the number of camera traps has been increased from 4 to 15, which made it possible to effectively monitor the condition of animals;
- using modern technology in 2021 we found a herd of 26 deer, and another 23 deer in 2022;
- discovered new potential habitats for this red-listed species;
- held two seminars about conservation of Khamar-Daban group of wild reindeer, in which 49 children took part.
As a result of the project, scientists proved that the Khamar-Daban population of wild reindeer does live in previously unexplored areas of the central part of the ridge. All the knowledge and experience gained by the specialists were formalized in the recommendations, which will help the hunting farms and protected areas to study and protect the wild reindeer more effectively.
On behalf of the Foundation team, we congratulate our colleagues from the Baikal Nature Reserve on the holiday and the successful implementation of the joint project and wish good luck in further studies of the Khamar-Daban wild forest reindeer population!