On July 13, 2020 at 11:00 Lake Baikal Foundation is organizing a webinar devoted to the presentation of the Concept of sustainable treatment of solid municipal waste in the territory of Zabaikalsky national park which was developed in the framework of the program entitled «Trash Free National Parks», which is being implemented on the territory of the «Zapovednoe Podlemorye» protected area since 2019 with the support of the Presidential Grants Foundation. The webinar is co-organized by the project office for ecotourism development of the Agency for strategic initiatives.
As speakers taking part in the webinar:
- Ekaterina Petrunina, Project Manager of Lake Baikal Foundation;
- Mikhail Ovdin, Director of the «Zapovednoe Podlemorye» protected area;
- Olga Ulanova, Ph. D., an international expert in the field of waste management (Switzerland), the head of expert group of the project;
- Project experts: Natalia Ivanovna Alberg., Ph. D., East Siberian State University of Technology and Management, Republic of Buryatia; Alexander Sergeevich Kuklin, Irkutsk; Alice Viktorovna Tulokhonova, Irkutsk.
The webinar will highlight the following key issues:
- What innovative elements, including those from international waste management experience, are part of the Concept applied in the Zabaikalsky national park;
- What are the environmental and economic benefits of a specially protected natural area (SPNA) and the region from the transition to a sustainable waste management system (from reducing the carbon footprint to the economic benefits of recycling);
- How do protected areas build communication with enterprises working in the field of waste transportation and processing, in conditions of remoteness and complicated logistics;
- About the prospects of replication of the project and the possibilities of practical application of the Concept in other protected areas.
Project experts will also highlight the main sections of the Concept and potential difficulties in its implementation.
To register for the webinar, follow the link.