The Lake Baikal Foundation donated 260,012 rubles to the Chikoy National Park, located in the Zabaikalsky Krai, for the continuation of the Trash free National Parks program in 2023.
Plans for the development of the Trash free National Parks program in the Chikoy National Park in 2023:
- Maintaining the operation of 7 previously opened recycling points at the National Park’s cordons, administrative building and in the village of Krasny Chikoy: the Foundation will help to purchase necessary equipment for waste collection and organize the removal of recyclables to waste recycling plants;
- Opening 2 new recycling points in places of growing tourist flow such as Shebety Lake and Goryachiy Klyuch spring: due to support of the Foundation, the staff of the National Park will make containers for separate collection and put up information boards and signs with instructions for users;
- Educating residents and tourists about the importance of separate waste collection: colleagues from the environmental education department of the national park will hold events,workshops, and other activities and prepare leaflets.
Chikoy National Park has been working with the Foundation since 2021. During this time we have:
- Opened 7 recycling points, in the guest house and the national park office, as well as in the village of Krasny Chikoy;
- Installed signs and information boards with sorting instructions which allow tourists and residents to learn more about separate waste collection;
- handed over more than 600 kg of waste for recycling.
«In 2023, we plan to open new recycling points in the park: at Goryachiy Klyuch Spring and Shebety Lake. Because of their beauty and uniqueness, these areas attract the attention of both local people and travelers. To reduce human impact on the territory, we decided to install containers to collect recyclables and waste separately»
Vladimir Illarionovich Isaev, Director of Chikoy National Park.
We would like to thank our colleagues from the Chikoy National Park for their continued cooperation on the Trash free National Parks program, employees of JSC Raiffeisenbank, the Foundation ‘Code of Good’, Barrier Company and the World Around You Foundation for their financial support of the project in 2023.